[NTG-context] Interlinear translations in Context

Huseyin Özoguz h.oezoguz at mmnetz.de
Mon Dec 3 10:29:13 CET 2018

Hello,

I have now the challenge in a book to set an interlinear translation.
That is two languages word-by-word (original above translation), so the
sentence structure follows the originals language, like its common in
many scientific bible translations.

My problem: The TABLES are not suitable, because

1. I have to determine in advance, how many words are in the row, which
depens obviously on the page-width and widths of the words.

2. Its not readable and well editable, because in Context (and most
other languages) one has to write the table in rows and not in columns,
as I need it for interlinear translations.

Example:

\bTABLE
\bTR \bTD word 1, language 1\eTD \bTD word 2, language 1\eTD \bTD word
3, language 1\eTD \eTR
\bTR \bTD word 1, language 2\eTD \bTD word 2, language 2\eTD \bTD word
3, language 2\eTD \eTR
\eTABLE

So I can not make this into and simple macro \interlinear{#1}{#2}, which
I could use this way:

\interlinear{word 1, language 1}{word 1, language 2}
\interlinear{word 2, language 1}{word 2, language 2}
\interlinear{word 3, language 1}{word 3, language 2}

(all three blocks in the same horizontal line, if no linebreak is needed)

On top of this, the language 1 (arabic) is right-to-left (so language 2
(german) must follow), it should be compatible with right-to-left
reading someway. I tried with \framed, but failed, because the framed
blocks are set one under the other, not side by side. How can I achieve
a nice way with this simple readable macros?

Thank you.

Huseyin

--
Huseyin Özoguz