[NTG-context] can \REGISTER[key]{term} modify typesetting (adding space)?

Rik Kabel context at rik.users.panix.com
Tue Nov 27 14:43:55 CET 2018

On 11/27/2018 05:38, mf wrote:
> In my setup, i have an index of names:
>
> \defineregister[Nome][...]
>
> The indexing of names can be toggled with a mode: --mode=AddNames
>
> The setup is something like this:
>
> \startmode[AddNames]
>   \Name[key]{term}\xmlflush{#1}
> \stopmode
> \startnotmode[AddNames]
>   \xmlflush{#1}
> \stopnotmode
>
> I noticed that \Name[key]{term} adds some space, leading to a
> different typesetting of the paragraph in rare cases (especially in a
> paragraph full of names).
>
> Can \Name[key]{term} add some space, or should i look for a different
> bug in my setup?
>
> Sorry, no MWE; i tried, but i could not reproduce the problem in a
> minimal example.

This has been a long-standing issue with registers in straight (non-XML)
code. I always follow a \index{} with a % to avoid it. I suspect that
will help here as well, splitting onto two lines, as

    \Name[key]{term}%
    \xmlflush{#1}

or perhaps

    \Name[key]{term}\letterpercent
    \xmlflush{#1}

Have you tried this?

(I cannot construct an MWE at this point either.)

--
Rik