[NTG-context] wrong hyphenation in ancient Greek?

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Tue Oct 30 15:42:22 CET 2018

On Sat, Oct 13, 2018 at 10:05:15AM +0200, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
>     πρᾶ-γμα πρά-γμα-τος
>
> As far as I know, two consonants in ancient Greek aren’t hyphenated,
> when they may begin a word.
>
> Γν may be the beginning of word in Greek (such as γνῶσις), but even LSJ
> has no word that begins with γμ.
>
> Am I missing something or should this be improved in the hyphenation
> patterns?

  Since we’ve continued that discussion off list, I’d like to mention
our conclusion, which is that the patterns shouldn’t be changed, since
they follow a somewhat different rule, where a few additional consonant
clusters receive the same treatment as γν.  That rule is documented in
William Goodwin’s Greek grammar, §97:

	https://archive.org/details/greekgrammar00gooduoft/page/24

  Thomas pointed out that Goodwin’s statement that his rule was “based
on ancient tradition” is not very convincing, and that different
behaviours are possible, but the one reported by Pablo above is
documented and intentional.

	Best,

		Arthur