[NTG-context] issue loading fonts

Rik rik at panix.com
Tue Oct 23 16:30:36 CEST 2018

On 10/23/2018 05:17, Arthur Reutenauer wrote:
>    I can reproduce this.  That means ConTeXt won’t let you use a
> regular-weight font face as the bold version of a font family, nor an
> upright font as an italic one, which in my opinion is rather a good
> thing.

That is simply wrong.

Not only will ConTeXt happily let you do that, it is sometimes a good
thing to do. In a font with many weights, you have to select appropriate
faces for the medium or printing method, and using a light face for the
normal and a regular weight (whatever that means for the font) for bold
emphasis. Or you may want change the way emphasis is used to make a
point, and reverse bold and italic in one swell foop.

The example on the wiki page for \definefontfamily shows some of this in
action, but ConTeXt does not get in the way of doing even sillier things:

    \definefontfamily   [reutenauer]
                         [rm]
                         [sourcecodepro]
                         [tf=style:bolditalic,
                          it=file:kabelblack.ttf,
                          bf=style:normal,
                          bi=file:comic.ttf]
    \setupbodyfont      [reutenauer]
    \starttext
    tf: {\tf \fontname\font\ \samplefile{ward}}\par
    it: {\it \fontname\font\ \samplefile{ward}}\par
    bf: {\bf \fontname\font\ \samplefile{ward}}\par
    bi: {\bi \fontname\font\ \samplefile{ward}}\par

Rik