[NTG-context] what defines the font size?

Arthur Reutenauer arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org
Thu Oct 18 09:54:51 CEST 2018

On Wed, Oct 17, 2018 at 06:14:21PM +0200, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
> I tried to show that the em square is the fixed measure.

  It’s not.  You misunderstand.  You sent an example

	\startTEXpage[offset=1em]
	  \framed{M}
	  \framed{\tfxx M}
	  \framed{\tfd M}
	\stoptext

where all the frames had the same size, but that’s only because you
hardcoded it earlier in the file:

	\setupframed
	  [offset=none,
	   framecolor=red,
	   rulethickness=0.01pt,
	   width=12pt,
	   height=12pt]

  Notice how the width and height are both set to 12pt?  Obviously the
frames are going to have fixed sizes then.  If you remove that
artificial setting, the frames are allowed to grow and shrink as
expected.

> Or am I missing something.

  Quite a bit, I’m afraid.  Later in this thread you’ll see that Hans is
talking about design size, which is a related, yet different issue.  Do
you understand what he’s talking about?

>>> The issue with units per em is something I didn’t understand.
>>
>>   That’s irrelevant for you as a font user.  Don’t worry about it.
>
> A user that asks why different fonts have glyphs with different sizes
> given the same point for both, doesn’t remain a font user anymore.

  I have to insist: units per em are not something you should worry at
all unless you’re designing the font yourself.

	Best,

		Arthur