[NTG-context] embedded sounds

Alan Braslau braslau.list at comcast.net
Tue Oct 9 20:24:55 CEST 2018

On Tue, 9 Oct 2018 19:49:44 +0200
Hans Hagen <j.hagen at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> media in pdf are sort of braindead and it's hard to get something that
> doesn't have side effects (attachment vs external vs ...) .. when i
> can't hear sound with internal files (no matter how we wrap it i cannot
> really test something) ... (it is tempting to just remove the code but
> as part of working on the interaction manual i keep it for now)
>
> the flash dependent media are even worse ... it is supported (as usual)
> but not future proof
>
> (it baffles me that the original simple movie and sound annotations are
> sort of gone: they delegated the rendering so no pain for acrobat and no
> gain in obsoleting them)

Embedded media is an illness inherited from PowerPointers. In my experience as a seminar presentation organizer, this messes-up 9 times out of 10 (unless the presenter is using his or her own laptop, and even then they cannot get it connected to the projector maybe 20% of the time...). Things are getting a bit better now on the presentation front, however. (PowerPointers still get funny font stuff from time to time).

Why not, rather, depend on a link opening an external file, distributed with the pdf, letting the system figure out how this is to be done? In my experience this works more generally.

Alan