[NTG-context] Which color model shall I use

Hans Hagen j.hagen at xs4all.nl
Sun Sep 30 18:58:39 CEST 2018

On 9/30/2018 3:46 PM, Jan U. Hasecke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to know, how to define colors to have a good printing quality.
>
> I am currently producing print materials for a company where all colors
> were defined for online usage first, so we started with defining RGB
> colors and then derived CMYK colors.
>
> What is the best approach for defining colors in print materials? What
> color model shall I use? RGB or CMYK?
>
> For the background. We have some SVG graphics we use on the website.
> They are defined in RGB color model. And we use them in the print
> materials as well.
>
> I tend to define RGB colors in my print documents so that the colors of
> the included SVG files match the defined colors I use elsewhere in the
> document. Eg. the Corporate-Blue of the Logo (SVG) will match the Blue
> of the headlines.
>
> I could as well define CMYK colors in the document but then I have two
> different color models in one document and I fear that the colors are
> printed in different hues.
>
> What would you do?
rgb for screen and cmyk for print

You can use rgb and in the print version enable cmyk and disable rgb in
which case context will convert for you.

For most color setups the result is ok (the end users often don't know
what colors were meant anyway) as long as relative coloring is ok (the
wierder the colors, the more sensitive for colro spaces).