[NTG-context] rscale with auto value

Pablo Rodriguez oinos at gmx.es
Thu Sep 27 11:25:51 CEST 2018

On 9/26/18 5:31 PM, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Sep 2018, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
>> [...]
>> Would it be possible that rscale could have the auto value?
>
> See my answer to a similar question on TeX.SE
>
> https://tex.stackexchange.com/a/450658/323

Hi Aditya,

many thanks for your detailed explanation at TeX.SE.

It seems that \showfontstrip is the way to go. It won’t be easy to
explain to newcomers, but I have to try.

I agree with Thomas that Porson shouldn’t be scaled. But this is mainly
because the font is totally different from other typefaces with Latin
glyphs (such as Palatino or Times).

Hans is right that glyph boldness is to be taken in consideration when
scaling a typeface. In my personal case, what bothers me most is the
different x-height between typefaces. Glyph boldness when scaling is
changed, but I’d say that it isn’t as obvious as different x-height.

rscale=auto would only be a value for an option, not even the default.
Of course, it wouldn’t be mandatory. This would not prevent from scaling
manually (or not scaling at all). But it would make things much easier
when trying to calculate the same x-heights.

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk