[NTG-context] Creating flyers with ConTeXt

Marco Patzer lists at homerow.info
Tue Sep 25 09:56:13 CEST 2018

On Mon, 24 Sep 2018 22:25:52 +0200
"Jan U. Hasecke" <juh+ntg-context at mailbox.org> wrote:

> On 21.09.18 16:56, Marco Patzer wrote:
>
> > A while ago I made a corporate flyer with context using the
> > TRYPTICHON method. Printing required 3mm bleed.
>
> Thanks a lot for this template. This is exactly what I need.
>
> I try to understand it in order to adapt it to the requirements of my
> print shop which only needs a bleed of 1mm.
>
> I hope that I understand it right:
>
> Page 1,2,3 and 6 are 100mm

correct

> Page 4 and 5 are 97mm as these are the pages that are folded to the
> inside.
>
> The measure "shortfold" (3mm) reduces the 100mm page to 97mm. Right?

correct

> The pageshift thing is beyond my horizon so I won't comment on this.

Without the pageshift, the pages don't touch because of different
page sizes. Just comment out \setuppageshift and check the result.

> You adjust the backspace of the pages with multiples of the measure
> "big". Right?

Multiples of measure “small”, but yes. That's general page layout,
nothing to do with unequal pages or bleed.

> As you can see in my example I use layers on page 2-4 to have bleeding
> images on the top of the page. This works more or less.
>
> But as you can see there are blank white spaces between the images of
> page 2-4. Maybe I can adjust this by using absolut measures like 100mm
> or 97mm in the layers.

Your dimensions were wrong, try:

\setlayer[topic1]
  [x=-1mm, y=-1mm]
  {\externalfigure[../bilder/topic1.png][width=101mm]}

> I have to adjust the layout of pages 2-4 so that the text starts below
> the images.

For background images layers are probably the right tool. For the
other images I used \startplacefigure … \stopplacefigure. Then
context takes care of the rest.

> An now here is my question. Is there a value I can simply change to
> have a pdf with only 1mm bleed?

No, I used the fact that bleed = shortfold = 3mm. The was of course
not very generic. You should create a new variable:

\definemeasure
  [bleed]
  [1mm]

Then set

\definepageshift
  [flyer]
  [vertical]
  [\measure{bleed}]

And adjust the horizontal page shift accordingly. That part is a bit
messy in my example. The variables are wrong, but the result was
correct. If it's a one-off thing, you could just use absolute
values:

\definepageshift
  [flyer]
  [horizontal]
  [-2mm, 1mm, 1mm, 6.8mm, 1mm, -2mm]

In general it shouldn't be too hard to create two variables, “bleed”
and “shortfold” and make the rest dependent on those two. But this
didn't work for page shift when I tried. Probably because I didn't
really grasp how pageshift works.

Marco