[NTG-context] Using the source han sans fonts fails

Hans Hagen j.hagen at xs4all.nl
Fri Sep 21 11:17:13 CEST 2018


On 9/21/2018 9:01 AM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 at 17:47, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
>> Am Wed, 19 Sep 2018 13:50:37 +0200 schrieb Ulrike Fischer:
>>
>>> I guess I should reinstall context here, probably it is too old and
>>> never got the 64bit binaries.
>>
>> I did reinstall context and now a 64bit luatex is used on my pc too
>> and the problem is gone.
>>
>> I also installed a 64bit luatex for texlive and now the font can
>> also be used with latex.
>>
>> The first time for me that a 64bit application makes really a
>> difference ;-).
> 
> I didn't look at the font itself, but if a font requires more than 3
> GB of memory to be able to load it, I would suspect something
> suspicious (either inefficient storing of data, semi-recursive
> behaviour – that did happen with one basically "empty" font in the
> past, memory leak, ... or at least some inefficient design at some
> point).

these fonts are huge ... and memory usage in lua can be large as 
allocations doubles when more is needed, but in the end the font gets 
stored quite efficient in the cache, so it's a one-time memory usage

> But it makes a strong argument for inclusion of 64-bit binaries into TeX Live :)
we have them on the garden for ages so i see no reason for them not 
being in texlive

Hans


-----------------------------------------------------------------
                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
               Ridderstraat 27 | 8061 GH Hasselt | The Netherlands
        tel: 038 477 53 69 | www.pragma-ade.nl | www.pragma-pod.nl
-----------------------------------------------------------------


More information about the ntg-context mailing list