[NTG-context] Using the source han sans fonts fails

Hans Hagen j.hagen at xs4all.nl
Wed Sep 19 11:38:56 CEST 2018

On 9/19/2018 11:17 AM, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> Am Wed, 19 Sep 2018 10:54:08 +0200 schrieb Hans Hagen:
>
>> On 9/19/2018 10:24 AM, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
>>>
>>> Because of a question on tex.sx I tried to use the source han sans
>>> fonts. I installed (in windows 10) the fonts from this zip-file:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/adobe-fonts/source-han-sans/blob/release/OTF/SourceHanSansJ.zip
>>>
>>> Trying to use them with latex/luaotfload failed with a memory
>>> exhausted error while trying to write the lua-file. In context
>>>
>>> \starttext
>>> \font\test={name:sourcehansans}
>>> \test abc
>>> \stoptext
>>>
>>> gave the error:
>>>
>>> fonts           > otf loading > loading
>>> 'c:/windows/fonts/SourceHanSans-Regular.otf', hash
>>> 'sourcehansans-regular'
>>> otf reader      > loading of table 'vorg' skipped
>>> otf reader      > invalid index in single format 1: 65353 -> 67212
>>> (max 65535)
>>> otf reader      > rule 1 in gsub lookup 's_s_5' has empty lookups
>>> fonts           > otf loading > loading failed due to read error
>>> fonts           > defining > forced type 'otf' of
>>> 'c:/windows/fonts/SourceHanSans-Regular' not found
>>> fonts           > defining > font with asked name
>>> 'c:/windows/fonts/SourceHanSans-Regular' is not found using lookup
>>> 'name'
>>> fonts           > defining > unknown font
>>> 'c:/windows/fonts/SourceHanSans-Regular', loading aborted
>>>

>>> xelatex had no problems to use the font.
>>>
>>> Is this an error in the font or in the fontloader?
>> it works ok here with luatex
>>
>> but ... do you use luajittex?
>
> No (neither with lualatex).
>
> The context log says at the end:
>
> mkiv lua stats  > used platform: mswin, type: windows, binary
> subtree: texmf-mswin
> mkiv lua stats  > used engine: luatex version 1.09 with
> functionality level 6930, banner: this is luatex, version 1.09.0
> (tex live 2018/w32tex)
> mkiv lua stats  > control sequences: 45351 of 65536 + 100000
> mkiv lua stats  > lua properties: engine: lua 5.3, used memory: 1519
> MB (ctx: 1460 MB), hash type: lua, hash chars: min(32,40), symbol
> mask: utf (τεχ)
> mkiv lua stats  > runtime: 39.711 seconds
>
> The fonts *are* large, and my computer is quite old, so it could be
> a hardware problem, but I'm wondering a bit about the message
>
>> otf reader      > invalid index in single format 1: 65353 -> 67212
sure, but afaiks that's taken care of, but it still loads ... so given
the computer maybe a memory issue? can you run with the task manager
open? it does need some mem when serializing so maybe your virtual mem
is not enough?

the first time caching takes some 23 sec on my (also not that new)
machine but after that loading takes way less time (some .4 sec)

maybe use the ttc files instead: sourcehansans-normal.ttc