[NTG-context] Using the source han sans fonts fails

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Wed Sep 19 11:17:35 CEST 2018

Am Wed, 19 Sep 2018 10:54:08 +0200 schrieb Hans Hagen:

> On 9/19/2018 10:24 AM, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
>>
>> Because of a question on tex.sx I tried to use the source han sans
>> fonts. I installed (in windows 10) the fonts from this zip-file:
>>
>> https://github.com/adobe-fonts/source-han-sans/blob/release/OTF/SourceHanSansJ.zip
>>
>> Trying to use them with latex/luaotfload failed with a memory
>> exhausted error while trying to write the lua-file. In context
>>
>> \starttext
>> \font\test={name:sourcehansans}
>> \test abc
>> \stoptext
>>
>> gave the error:
>>
>> fonts           > otf loading > loading
>> 'c:/windows/fonts/SourceHanSans-Regular.otf', hash
>> 'sourcehansans-regular'
>> otf reader      > loading of table 'vorg' skipped
>> otf reader      > invalid index in single format 1: 65353 -> 67212
>> (max 65535)
>> otf reader      > rule 1 in gsub lookup 's_s_5' has empty lookups
>> fonts           > otf loading > loading failed due to read error
>> fonts           > defining > forced type 'otf' of
>> 'c:/windows/fonts/SourceHanSans-Regular' not found
>> fonts           > defining > font with asked name
>> 'c:/windows/fonts/SourceHanSans-Regular' is not found using lookup
>> 'name'
>> fonts           > defining > unknown font
>> 'c:/windows/fonts/SourceHanSans-Regular', loading aborted
>>

>> xelatex had no problems to use the font.
>>
>> Is this an error in the font or in the fontloader?
> it works ok here with luatex
>
> but ... do you use luajittex?

No (neither with lualatex).

The context log says at the end:

mkiv lua stats  > used platform: mswin, type: windows, binary
subtree: texmf-mswin
mkiv lua stats  > used engine: luatex version 1.09 with
functionality level 6930, banner: this is luatex, version 1.09.0
(tex live 2018/w32tex)
mkiv lua stats  > control sequences: 45351 of 65536 + 100000
mkiv lua stats  > lua properties: engine: lua 5.3, used memory: 1519
MB (ctx: 1460 MB), hash type: lua, hash chars: min(32,40), symbol
mask: utf (τεχ)
mkiv lua stats  > runtime: 39.711 seconds

The fonts *are* large, and my computer is quite old, so it could be
a hardware problem, but I'm wondering a bit about the message

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/