[NTG-context] luatex on the garden

Hans Hagen j.hagen at xs4all.nl
Fri Aug 31 10:27:57 CEST 2018

Hi,

We now have a new version of luatex on the garden. This is the anual
context meeting release which is a prelude to next years 1.10 version
for texlive. The version number is 1.08 (as 1.09 will be out in a few
months and mostly concerns some fixes needed for arm).

For the average user there are no real differences (luatex 1.10 will
basically be functionality complete). Of course we use lua 5.3 (1.10
might actually use 5.4). You can expect (depending on usage) a bit
better performance as i wrapped some (yet) unsupported stuff into
fallback functions.

Things to watch out for: context now uses a one-pass mp approach which
so far worked ok (alan an i tested it in regular usage). This might
boost performance in case where extensive mp embedding takes place.

Poppler is gone and replaced by pplib by Pawel Jakowski written for us.
Currently he and luigi are finetuning the c code for portability. Users
should not notice this (but it removes a dependency). More on some of
the consequences later. It also makes the binary smaller.

The binary mode in mplib is not available in luatex. It has no real
benefits (and is probably not used, not even by alan) apart from
research. This removes a large dependency on foreign code (we try to
minimlize that) and again makes the binary smaller. We might introduce
64 bit scaled at some point (luigi will look into that next year).

There are some changes in terms of efficiency that kick in now. I only
tested on my setup but it's probably ok. Don't expect drastic
improvements wrr to average performsance from now on. For those on
windows: i noticed a performance difference between the native and mingw
binaries (with native being slower, mostly due to format saving and

A lot of work went into this release and we hope that it's worth it. I
will rmove some older code paths in a few weeks (less code that way) so
then beta's will assume the new binary is used.