[NTG-context] \startuserdata syntax questions

Wolfgang Schuster wolfgang.schuster.lists at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 17:19:22 CEST 2018

Hans Hagen schrieb am 29.08.18 um 09:15:
> On 8/28/2018 10:40 PM, Rik Kabel wrote:
>> Wolfgang, Hans, et al,
>>
>> The new \startuserdata macro looks very promising, and can simplify
>> some work I have in progress.
>>
>> The first question: the wiki example and the source use
>>
>>     \userparameter{optionkey}
>>     \userparameter{anotherkey}
>>
>> to retrieve the value of optionkey and anotherkey. Is there a way to
>> provide the key/value pairs in a manner that they can be retrieved
>> with the getparameters mechanism, as:
>>
>>     \getrawparameters [XX] [optionkey=,anotherkey=,#1]
>>
>> This has the added advantage of allowing the setting of a default
>> value, as
>>
>>     \getrawparameters [XX] [optionkey=2em,anotherkey=,#1]
>>
>> Or is there a reason not to use getparameters in this setting?
>
> hardly any of the core mechanisms in mkiv uses get(raw)parameters
>
> define a category and then clone it ...

\defineuserdata [rik] [name=Rik,alternative=rik]

\defineuserdataalternative [rik] [renderingsetup=userdata:rik]

\startsetups [userdata:rik]
     \starttabulate[|l|p|]
     \NC \userdataparameter{name} \NC \getuserdata \NC\NR
     \stoptabulate
\stopsetups

\starttext

\startuserdata [rik]
\samplefile{greenfield}
\stopuserdata

\startuserdata [rik] [name=Greenfield]
\samplefile{greenfield}
\stopuserdata

\stoptext

> The second question: Is there the possibility to enhance the syntax so
> that one can write
>>
>>     \startMyStuff [optionalkey=value, anotherkey=value]
>>          stuff
>>     \stopMyStuff
>>
>> instead of
>>
>>     \startuserdata [MyStuff] [optionalkey=value, anotherkey=value]
>>     stuff
>>     \stopuserdata

I can generated environment commands but I haven’t done this at the
beginning because I prefer to pass the name of the environment as
argument because this allows me to check if the used instance exists.

>> Such syntactic sugar makes sweeter reading of the text, and makes
>> clearer what is being done when nesting the macro.
> for such Named environments there are probably other alternatives
> (depending on what you need it for), like blocks
>
> also, user dat picks up its content (they're buffers) so that would
> also mean more nested buffers .. it's meant as a simple mechanism

Yes, the environment is meant for short blocks of text (e.g. a
blockquote) where you have to set different texts (e.g. the name of a
author) for each use of the environment.

I thought about adding a switch to change between buffer mode and normal
start/stop commands which work like the startstop environment but it
wasn’t worth the effort.

Wolfgang