[NTG-context] Synctex + Sumatra + TextPad

Hans Hagen j.hagen at xs4all.nl
Tue Aug 21 22:56:44 CEST 2018

On 8/21/2018 9:23 PM, Procházka Lukáš Ing. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> this question extends the "[NTG-context] future versions - synctex" thread.
>
> I'm using TextPad for editing Ctx source files, PdfXChange Viewer to
> view PDFs, both on Windows.
>
> After reading some recent posts and after studying some web sources -
> especially
>
>      [a] https://www.sumatrapdfreader.org/docs/DDE-Commands.html for
> SumatraPDF viever and
>
>      [b]
> https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/116981/how-to-configure-texniccenter-2-0-with-sumatra-2013-2016-version/116994#116994
> for inspiration how to make TXC interoperate with Sumatra,

dunno

> I would like to provide "click-in-PDF-go-to-source" functionality - be
> Sumatra the viewer for this case.
>
> Questions are:
>
> 1. How to run Sumatra so that it opens a PDF file AND reacts somehow to
> a mouse click, in order to provide a command to get to the corresponding
> place in the source file?
>
>      (IIUC, Sumatra provides such functionality, as e.g. TeXnic Center
> use it. [b].)
>
> I guess that I have to configure Sumatra somehow, or to launch Sumatra
> with some command line parameters, so that when I click a point in the
> PDF (maybe while also holding CTRL or something - but it is a detail), a
> command is launched to open the source file in the editor and go to a
> particular line.

from the workflow manual:

Of course you need to configure the viewer to respond to the request for
editing. In Sumatra combined with SciTE the magic command is:

c:\data\system\scite\wscite\scite.exe "%f" "-goto:%l"

> 2. What should be the command line parameters passed to Sumatra to
> provide the linkage "open PDF-source at line"?

config file

> I deduce also that such command should call "mtxrun --script synctex"
> somehow (which will call
> "...\tex\texmf-context\scripts\context\lua\mtx-synctex.lua") as the
> "mtx-synctex" is able to read the .synctex produced during compilation
> of .tex files.

no, because the lib is hard coded in the sumatra bin so you need to
cross your fingers

> I deduce also that "mtx-synctex" calls the editor (which the user uses
> to edit source files) in the manner that it tells the editor "open file
> (...) and go to line (...).
> Existing "mtx-synctex" is "aware" of "scite" editor, which is - next to
> "console" - the only editor pre-configured.

pdf viewers use the lib .. what we're discussing is hwo to make them
call a program instead

> 3. What code should be added into "mtx-synctex" in order to make TextPad
> an editor known to "mtx-synctex"?

dunno, i never used textpad  Hans