[NTG-context] future versions - synctex

Aditya Mahajan adityam at umich.edu
Tue Aug 21 15:04:05 CEST 2018

On Tue, 21 Aug 2018, Hans Hagen wrote:

>> Anyway, a better support for "pick-in-PDF-and-go-to-source" (synctex),
>> namely when user "tunes" the docs to their final stage, would be great.
> I think that the current approach to hard code synctex libraries into a
> viewer is a limitation (instead an editor should call an external
> program with the page and coordinates so that an external program can
> then look at the synctex file and decide where to go in the editor. That
> way more sophisticated support is possible than the now hard coded
> heuristics. Keep in mind that these heuristics are tuned for latex and
> from context we generate the real minimal amount of synctex code that
> works without clashing with these heuristics. If that were not that case
> is would be unuseable.
>
> Anyhow, there's only so much i can do about it (i'm not going to patch
> viewers). Currently synctex is mostly working for decent structured
> source (can be multiple files).

Which of the existing viewers have this functionality? Last time I tried
using synctex on linux, almost all viewers gave an error that they could
not parse synctex file.

Is there some documentation on what is the format of the synctex file
written by ConTeXt and how the external program should be called with page
and coordinates? With that we can try to raise an issue asking the pdf
viewers to support that.

Thanks,
Aditya