[NTG-context] embedded sounds aren’t played

Pablo Rodriguez oinos at gmx.es
Wed Aug 15 19:25:21 CEST 2018

On 08/14/2018 06:35 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> Dear list,
>>
>> this is sounds-001.tex from the examples:
>> [...]
>> As I cannot check it myself with Acrobat for Linux (it seems to lack a
>> player for MP3 files), I asked at the Spanish TeX mailing list whether
>> they can play the MP3 file embedded in the PDF file.
>
> I have no clue. But these interactive media features in pdf are such a
> mess. Embedding a simple sound file or video has become a pain and
> changed over time.

I know. RichMedia is even an extension to the PDF spec 1.7
(https://www.adobe.com/content/dam/acom/en/devnet/acrobat/pdfs/adobe_supplement_iso32000.pdf).

> I think that the modern way is to create a bunch of useless objects,
> embed a shockwave (soon obsolete flash) player etc etc and who knows
> what in a few years. While all we want is to embed a sound file
> (afaik the old easy ways are obsolete).

As long as it isn’t deprecated, I would like to use MediaClip (to be
able to handle it with JS code).

> One can only use acrobat to check. My most recent version is 10.1 and
> i'm not going to subscribe to some lock-in pro version for 20 euro per
> month in order to check if code still works.

http://www.davidgilmour.com/freedom/ uses a similar approach (although
no MediaClip, but RichMedia instead). And they work fine with latest
Acrobat Reader.

> Having the file in the same paths seems to work so maybe something is
> missing.

This is also my impression, but I still haven’t found what I’m looking
for (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3-5YC_oHjE).

> One problem i remember is that when one adds too many key/values one
> suddenly gets sounds mentioned in side bars and so.

I only want to embed a single audio file per PDF document.

> If you need it you can spend some time on deciphering the latest spec
> and tell me what is missing.

I need it. I already spent some time trying to decipher what was wrong.
But I failed. It seems that I need to investigate further.

>> Decompressing the PDF file, I see that there are two similar objects:
>
> \nopdfcompression save you that step

I know, but the output from "mutool clean -d" is more readable to me.
And it comes also handy to add in text messages.

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk