[NTG-context] resetting footnote counter

Hans Hagen j.hagen at xs4all.nl
Wed Aug 8 17:59:21 CEST 2018

On 8/8/2018 5:48 PM, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Aug 2018, Robert Zydenbos wrote:
>
>> A simple footnote question this time. I would like to print endnotes
>> at the end of every chapter in my book, and then reset the footnote
>> counter so that in the next chapter the first note will be ‘1’ again.
>> I suppose this should be done by means of \setupfootnotes – but with
>> which parameter?
>
> \setupnotation[footnote][way=bychapter]
>
> \starttext
> \dorecurse{5}
> {\startchapter[title=New Chapter]
>    \dorecurse{5}{\input ward\footnote{A quote by ward}}
> \stopchapter}
> \stoptext
>
> With regard to your other thread about documentation of footnotes, the
> way I understand it is that \setupnotation is used to configure how the
> actual footnote is displayed and setupnotation has similar options to
> \setupdescription. So, alternative=serried corresponds to a similar
> option for descriptions.
>
> Note that the above is for MkIV. For MkII, I think that you need
> \setupfootnotes insted of \setupnotation[footnote].
Indeed, mkiv is different ... in fact notes are a complex mechanism:

- rendering in line (the marker)
- rendering the text (anywhere)
- interaction with the page builder (depending on kind)
- stacking multiple classes
- line notes (refering to lien numbers)

etc. Most of what is in mkii is there in mkiv but in mkiv the textual
rendering has been split and is called notation (on top of a generalized
mechanism that also does descriptions, enumerations and more).

The complication is that we need to group settings for (1) the markers,
(2) the text, (3) the overall mechanism. Of course inheritance also
kicks in then.