[NTG-context] question regarding \placefloats

Alan Braslau braslau.list at comcast.net
Wed Aug 8 17:54:45 CEST 2018

On Wed, 8 Aug 2018 14:33:21 +0200
"Susanne G. Loeber" <dekleurenfamilie at gmail.com> wrote:

> \placelistoffloats does not exist as a command
>
> My solution is two seperate commands, one for the tables \placelistoftables
> and one for the figures \completelistoffigures.
>
> Question: how to use \placefloats correctly to get a list of all floats?

Floating objects or floats exist in many instances. One predefined instance is figure and a second is table. So \placelistofINSTANCEs will give you the list. You can define more floating objects, for example a sidebox, etc.

The figure and table lists can be combined:

\definecombinedlist [figuresandtables] [figure,table]

\placelistoffiguresandtables

or something like that.

> Second:
>
> \startcombination[1*2] looks nice, but does not add information to the
> \placelistoffigures .
>
> My solution is to place the \startcombination inside a \placefigure.

\startcombination [nx=1,ny=2] % my preferred syntax

\stopcombination

allows you to create a combined (matrix) of graphics. It is indeed generally used inside a float construct such as \startplacefigure ... \stopplacefigure.

By the way, "alternative=label" is a favorite of mine, making it unnecessary to explicitly include labels, as in:

\startcombination [nx=1,ny=2,alternative=label]
  {My top graphic}
  {My bottom graphic}
\stopcombination

rather than