[NTG-context] resetting footnote counter

Aditya Mahajan adityam at umich.edu
Wed Aug 8 17:48:22 CEST 2018

On Wed, 8 Aug 2018, Robert Zydenbos wrote:

> A simple footnote question this time. I would like to print endnotes at
> the end of every chapter in my book, and then reset the footnote counter
> so that in the next chapter the first note will be ‘1’ again. I suppose
> this should be done by means of \setupfootnotes – but with which
> parameter?

\setupnotation[footnote][way=bychapter]

\starttext
\dorecurse{5}
{\startchapter[title=New Chapter]
   \dorecurse{5}{\input ward\footnote{A quote by ward}}
\stopchapter}
\stoptext

With regard to your other thread about documentation of footnotes, the way
I understand it is that \setupnotation is used to configure how the actual
footnote is displayed and setupnotation has similar options to
\setupdescription. So, alternative=serried corresponds to a similar option
for descriptions.

Note that the above is for MkIV. For MkII, I think that you need
\setupfootnotes insted of \setupnotation[footnote].

Aditya