[NTG-context] general suggestion for ConTeXt documentation (was: footnote and endnote markers...)

Robert Zydenbos context at zydenbos.net
Wed Aug 8 15:30:35 CEST 2018

On 8. Aug 2018, at 00:54, Alan Braslau <braslau.list at comcast.net> wrote:

> tex/context/interface/mkiv/i-context.pdf

Thank you! I didn’t know I already had this updated version of a document I’ve already been using. But however useful this document already is, it does illustrate some of my problems. For instance, in the entry ‘\setupnote’ I see:

…
indicator: yes no
distance: dimension
…

Surely this is fine for those who have been working on ConTeXt for years at a very low coding level. But I see this and ask myself: “indicator of what? distance to what?” etc. (Sometimes, when confronted with such information, I just play around a bit with changing parameters and see what happens: sometimes I discover the meanings, sometimes I don’t.)

‘\setupnote’ inherits from ‘\setupframed’. There one finds

…
profile = NAME
empty = yes no
…

and similar questions arise: “what kind of profile?”, “what is empty or not?” etc.

Unfortunately the source browser on the Wiki is out of order, otherwise that might have helped.

Suggestion / request: all the ConTeXt source files are, of course, read and processed in a particular order. It would surely be useful if someone could indicate where this chain begins. Anybody who would be interested in sorting out the workings of ConTeXt and writing a manual (no, I am not making any promises yet :-) ) could then trace how one command leads to another, another, another… and how the entire system is built up.

Robert