[NTG-context] Shading and transparency

Marco Patzer lists at homerow.info
Wed Jul 11 23:40:08 CEST 2018

On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 23:11:31 +0200
Hans Hagen <j.hagen at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> > Is there a method that does not require an external file or
> > pre-processing? Using the external file works. Just wondering if
> > there's a better - more integrated - way.
> i guess that with some experimenting you can come close but the
> external file that you use uses masks (actually we do support masks
> in external figures) and multiple shades over something in the page
> stream

For the old implementation (pre 2016-ish) I had a working solution
because shading to transparent colours just worked (at least in my
case of a simple transparent shade, nothing fancy), but not so any
longer. With the new implementation I couldn't get it working. But
we discussed that at some point in the past. I believe the gist of
it was “shade-to-transparent is gone”.

> stuff i'd only look into  when i have to (in principle one
> can make all kind of fancy mechanisms but does it pay off ... seldom)

If there's no easy solution, it's alright. If have a workaround. No
need to waste time on exotic features (as long as masks in external
figures keep working). Still, if you happen to know a trick to pull
that off in ConTeXt, let me know.

Marco