[NTG-context] Shading and transparency

Hans Hagen j.hagen at xs4all.nl
Wed Jul 11 23:11:31 CEST 2018

On 7/11/2018 8:45 PM, Marco Patzer wrote:
> Hi!
>
> It's shadings and transparency again.
>
> For most things transparency is not required since the background
> colour (white) can be used instead, to achieve the same effect
> (thanks Hans for the reimplementation/cleanup a while ago). For one
> use case I worked around this by including an external file and
> overlay the external file (see attached example).
>
> Background: In the actual documents the transparent overlays overlay
> images to have the edges fade into the page background (only the
> centre is of interest).
>
> Is there a method that does not require an external file or
> pre-processing? Using the external file works. Just wondering if
> there's a better - more integrated - way.
i guess that with some experimenting you can come close but the external
file that you use uses masks (actually we do support masks in external
figures) and multiple shades over something in the page stream, stuff
i'd only look into  when i have to (in principle one can make all kind
of fancy mechanisms but does it pay off ... seldom)