[NTG-context] text in mathematics

Wolfgang Schuster schuster.wolfgang at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 21:21:04 CEST 2018

Hi Alan,

1. The correct way to use \mathrm is {\mathrm ...} because it is a
switch like \rm for text mode.

2. \mathrm is the wrong method to write text in formulas because the
command changes only the math alphabet. This means no ligatures, kerning
or other characters like umlauts.

3. The correct way to write text in math mode is \mathtext (which has
the synonym \text) or \mathword. To change the style of the text you can
use \mathtext{\it …} or \mathtextit{…}.

Wolfgang