[NTG-context] Overriding / redefining / disabling standard commands

Rik Kabel context at rik.users.panix.com
Tue Jun 26 02:50:51 CEST 2018

On 6/25/2018 20:11, Alan Braslau wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jun 2018 19:11:30 -0400
> Rik <rik at panix.com> wrote:
>
>> On 6/25/2018 17:52, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>>> \startmode[ebook]
>>> \setupbackend[export=yes]
>>> \stopmode
>>>
>>> \starttext
>>>
>>> \index{Knuth}\input knuth
>>>
>>> \index{Ward}\input ward
>>>
>>> \index{Zapf}\input zapf
>>>
>>> \startnotmode[*export]
>>> \completeregister[index]
>>> \stopnotmode
>>>
>>> \stoptext
>> Unfortunately, this does not suppress generation of index references
>> in the exported output. Here is a snippet of the -div.html file
>> generated by the example you provided:

>>      onclick="location.href='#aut-1'"><!--empty--></div>Thus,
>> I came to the conclusion that the designer of a new system must not
>>      only be the implementer and first large--scale user; the designer
>>      should also write the first user manual.
>>
>> and a snip of the output with the default css:
>>
>> Thus the request for a (simple) mechanism to redefine or disable
>> standard commands. There are commands other than \index that might
>> also benefit from similar treatment.
>>
> \def\MyIndex#1{\index{#1}}
>
> is one route.
>
> Another might be
>
> \let\index\gobbleoneargument
>
> (use at your risk)
>
> Alan

This would work if \index took one argument, but it takes as well an
optional argument preceding the required argument, and so these fail.

The best solution would seem to be one which does not require knowledge
of the number of required and optional arguments, but that might be a
stretch.

That is why I asked for help.
--
Rik