[NTG-context] latest beta and \seeindex

Hans Hagen j.hagen at xs4all.nl
Mon Jun 25 14:15:07 CEST 2018

On 6/24/2018 10:07 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> Am 2018-06-24 um 21:57 schrieb Hans Hagen <j.hagen at xs4all.nl>:
>
>> On 6/23/2018 5:10 PM, Alan Bowen wrote:
>>> The latest beta (ConTeXtver: 2018.06.23 12:12 MKIV betafmt: 2018.6.23) processes without a hitch but \seeindex is still not working as expected.
>>> In
>>> \starttext
>>> \index{sample}
>>> \index{fun+games}\index{fun+stuff}
>>> %\index{fun}
>>> \seeindex{fun}{sample}% now with heading (as it should be)
>>> \seeindex{fun}{blah}% not shown
>>> \seeindex{fun}{humbug}% not shown
>>> \seeindex{fun}{bug}% not shown
>>> \seeindex{fun+games}{entertainment}% not shown
>>> \placeindex[n=1]
>>> \stoptext
>>> When I generate the indices for my book, \seeindex{A}{B} works only if it is a unique x-ref and A is a heading. Multiple x-refs to the same heading fail as do x-refs to subheadings.
>> sure,
>>
>> \seeindex{fun}{blah}                % not shown
>> \seeindex{fun}{humbug}              % not shown
>> \seeindex{fun}{bug}                 % not shown
>>
>> as there is no index entry blah, humbug or bug ... so you would be fooling your reader
>
> I understand the rationale, and it could be a nice feature, but we need to refer to entries in a different register, e.g. from an index of topics to an index of persons, e.g. \seeindex{Pragma}{Hagen, Hans} or to subentries like \seeindex{fun+games}{bah+humbug}. Since the latter doesn’t work (or does it now?), we use \seeindex{fun+games}{bah/humbug}.
hm, sounds like a crappy index to mee (i actually hate these indexes
that force you to 'see' somplace else .. extra lookup)

anyway, i'll add check=no to placeregister so that one can bypass the
check (but i cannot foresee side effects like missing references in
interactiev documents so these have to be taken for granted)