[NTG-context] bidi in footnotes

Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد Idris.Hamid at colostate.edu
Sat Jun 23 23:49:01 CEST 2018

On Sat, 23 Jun 2018 07:10:27 -0600, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfgang at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد <mailto:Idris.Hamid at colostate.edu>
>> 23. Juni 2018 um 14:17
>> On Fri, 22 Jun 2018 14:13:22 -0600, Wolfgang Schuster
>> <schuster.wolfgang at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> 2. a complete list of those typographical settings (bidi, whitespace,
>>> etc,) which are have to explicitly setup for such environments?
>>
>>> Whitespace etc. are unrelated to the problem above and can be changed
>>> with the normal setup-commands.
>>
>> Counterexample to whitespace attached and below:
>>
>> \setupwhitespace[big]
>>
>> \starttext
>> \input ward \par \input ward
>> \startfootnote
>> \input ward \par \input ward
>> \stopfootnote{}
>> \stoptext
>>
>> Whitespace is applied in the main text but not in the footnotes. How
>> is this case different from global declaration of bidi etc.? It seems
>> these elements really do live in their own world now..
>
> This would lead to other side effects shown in the following example.

Yes, ok.

> When you use the global whitespace settings in footnotes you get the
> same space between each footnote entry. What can be done is to add a
> whitespace key to setupnote which is easier than using
> setups-environment.

Could this be a feature request then? So

\setupnote[whitespace=big,bidi=on]

[Although in the case of bidi I still think that one declaration of
bidi=global at the beginning of the document should radiate to all other
elements, except as otherwise configured through their \setup<command>'s
etc.]

Many thanks for the explanations.

Best wishes
Idris