[NTG-context] How to display widows/orphans

hanak at is-it.eu hanak at is-it.eu
Thu Jun 21 00:34:28 CEST 2018

Hello,

I know, that letting context to solve all widow/orphans automatically
is possible like:

   \startsetups[grid][mypenalties]
     \setdefaultpenalties
     \setpenalties\widowpenalties{1}{10000}
     \setpenalties\clubpenalties{1}{10000}
   \stopsetups

   \setuplayout[grid=yes, setups=mypenalties]

or even only:

\widowpenalty=10000
\clubpenalty=10000

But this solution will let the page shorter (I will get one empty line
on the bottom of the page). I would prefer to solve the widow problem
manually, e.g. using \looseness=-1 or \looseness=1 on some
paragraphs.

In order to identify the problematic pages quickly, it would be nice to
see them in the log (on the console), similarly how I see e.g.
overfull hboxes. If I have an overfull line, I see:

  pages           > flushing realpage 74, userpage 74
  Overfull \hbox (2.01712pt too wide) in paragraph at lines 3504--3510

Now I would like to see a widow like:

  pages           > flushing realpage 74, userpage 74
  Underfull \vbox ...

Is it something like this possible?

Thanks.
Pavel