[NTG-context] sort order in registers (indexes)

Henning Hraban Ramm texml at fiee.net
Sun Jun 10 20:50:33 CEST 2018

Am 2018-06-10 um 20:09 schrieb Pablo Rodriguez <oinos at gmx.es>:

> On 06/10/2018 06:16 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
>> [...]
>> * Aren’t language specific sorting rules possible at the current state? Or does "unicode" handle that?
>> E.g.
>> -- DIN 5007-1 (German default sorting) is like zm,zc,uc, but ß should be sorted like ss.
>> -- DIN 5007-2 (German phonebook sorting) would additionally require umlauts to be sorted as ä = ae etc.
>> -- Austrian phonebook sorting sorts umlauts after base vocals, i.e. a, ä, o, ö, u, ü, s, ß.
>> -- Danish and Norwegian: x, y, z, æ, ø, å
>> -- Finnish and Swedish: x, y = ü, z, æ, ä, ö, ø, å (until 2006 v = w)
>> -- etc.
>> (according to https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alphabetische_Sortierung)
>
> sort-lan.lua contains different language definitions.

Ah, thanks for the hint. But how can I employ these definitions with index/list ordering?
Setting mainlanguage and method "*,uc" doesn’t seem to do the trick.

> Among others: DIN
> 5007-1, DIN 5007-2, Duden.

Hans, please add the replacement
{ "ß", "ss" }
to definitions['DIN 5007-1'] and definitions['DIN 5007-2']
Thank you!

> Swedish doesn’t contain ø (according to https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ø,
> it is replaced with ö) or ü (it is a foreign letter to their alphabet).
> and  "fi" seems to order the way you describe. And v is different from w.

I wouldn’t touch it then, who knows how accurate German wikipedia is...

> I would say, Finnish isn’t included in sort-lan.lua.

Yes it is.
(http://source.contextgarden.net/tex/context/base/mkiv/sort-lan.lua)

> Please, it would be extremely helpful (I remember thinking that
> registers didn’t make any sense in ConTeXt, before someone helped me).

As soon as I understand how the language dependent sorting works...

Greetlings, Hraban
---
https://www.fiee.net
http://wiki.contextgarden.net