[NTG-context] sort order in registers (indexes)

Henning Hraban Ramm texml at fiee.net
Sun Jun 10 18:16:50 CEST 2018

Am 2018-06-10 um 14:11 schrieb Henning Hraban Ramm <texml at fiee.net>:

> Am 2018-06-10 um 13:07 schrieb Henning Hraban Ramm <texml at fiee.net>:
>
>>> I think this may achieve what you want:
>>> \setupregister[index][method={zm,zc}]
>>> I hope it helps,
>>
>> Thank you very much!
>>
>> I overlooked that there is indeed some documentation:
>> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Command/keyword:method
>
> But reading through that and the source I’m still confused.
>
> I’d like to write a proper explanation for the wiki (and my book).
>
> Is there anywhere documentation about the meaning/goal of the presets or algorithms?
>
> Are these codes translatable into something like "ignore diacritics", "ignore upper/lowercase" etc.?

Ok, I think I got it...
For a proper sorting, you first apply a "mapping", then a "casing" and finally "unicode".

Presets:
default = upper like lowercase, diacritics separate
before  = upper before lower, diacritics ignored
after   = lower before upper, diacritics ignored
first   = lower before upper, diacritics separate
last    = upper before lower, diacritics separate

* If you don’t set the sorting method, the preset "first" ist used (and not "default").

* There’s no preset for the (in my eyes most meaningful) combination "upper like lowercase, diacritics ignored" (zm,zc,uc).

* Aren’t language specific sorting rules possible at the current state? Or does "unicode" handle that?
E.g.
-- DIN 5007-1 (German default sorting) is like zm,zc,uc, but ß should be sorted like ss.
-- DIN 5007-2 (German phonebook sorting) would additionally require umlauts to be sorted as ä = ae etc.
-- Austrian phonebook sorting sorts umlauts after base vocals, i.e. a, ä, o, ö, u, ü, s, ß.
-- Danish and Norwegian: x, y, z, æ, ø, å
-- Finnish and Swedish: x, y = ü, z, æ, ä, ö, ø, å (until 2006 v = w)
-- etc.
(according to https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alphabetische_Sortierung)

If nobody objects I’ll add this to the wiki.

Greetlings, Hraban
---
https://www.fiee.net
http://wiki.contextgarden.net