[NTG-context] Spacebefore and spaceafter a Float

Aditya Mahajan adityam at umich.edu
Wed May 30 17:12:04 CEST 2018

On Mon, 28 May 2018, John Grasty wrote:

> I am trying to adjust the space between my tables and the body text.
> Below is a minimal example. My problem is that I can seem to get the
> before= or after= to do anything no matter what command I enter. I have
> also tried spacebefore= and spaceafter=

This was crossposted to tex stackexchange where Metafox replied:

<quote>
Some environment with instances let you set certain options only for all
instances and not only a single one, the spacebefore and spaceafter
settings for floats are such a option.

This means only the following setup is possible

\setupfloat
   [spacebefore=2*line,
     spaceafter=2*line]

but not this one where I change only the values for the table instance.

\setupfloat
   [table]
   [spacebefore=2*line,
     spaceafter=2*line]

</quote>

I am curious as to why this design choice was made. Does it make sense to
change these to per-instance (basically change `\rootfloatparameter` with
`floatparameter` in page-flt.mkiv).

Aditya