[NTG-context] roadmap

Hans Hagen j.hagen at xs4all.nl
Tue May 15 23:26:52 CEST 2018

On 5/15/2018 9:17 PM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
> On 05/14/2018 05:17 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The ConTeXt meeting is - as usual - the right place and moment to
>> discuss the roadmap. We never had real binding roadmaps, more informal
>> ones. Anyway, here are some thoughts on the two main components: MkIV
>> and LuaTeX.
>>
>> ConTeXt MkIV:
>> [...]
>> - Check what additional features users want (miss) and decide to what
>> extent and with what priority we will put effort in this. We've reached
>> a point where interference prevents more complex extensions.
>
> Hans,
>
> I wonder whether it would be possible to implement a feature that you
> mentioned in the past.
>
> In order to avoid widow and orphan lines, you mentioned that it would be
> possible to automatically adapt the interline space for the page, so
> that it may have one more line to avoid orphans (when interline space is
> decreased) or it may move a line to the next page to avoid widows
> (increasing the interline space in the present page).
>
> Would it be possible to add this feature to ConTeXt?

actually it was something that came up when talking with Hermann Zapf
years ago: he suggested to just vertically scale the text area (i
actully implemented that an hour later) ... his opinion was that only a
very small percentage of readers will notice (at that time we did
experiments with hz, the expansion in pdftex: in fact nobody noticed
that too, real interesting was that texies commented on all kind of
things related to how tex is supposed to work: a clear demonstration
that the average user knows what the virtues of tex are but not really
sees it)

> I have another feature request for notes, but I would like to know
> whether the feature to avoid widow and orphan lines can be implemented
> in ConTeXt.
you can always ask ... giving it priority is another matter