[NTG-context] roadmap

Christoph Reller christoph.reller at gmail.com
Tue May 15 08:15:32 CEST 2018

On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 12:53 AM, <ntg-context-request at ntg.nl> wrote:

> Message: 3
> Date: Mon, 14 May 2018 23:26:28 +0200
> From: Hans Hagen <j.hagen at xs4all.nl>
>         users <ntg-context at ntg.nl>
> Subject: Re: [NTG-context] roadmap
>
> On 5/14/2018 9:36 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> > Hi Hans, thank you so much!

Keep up the good work!

> > * PDF/* (X, A, UA - probably only reasonable with external tools, but it seems like there’s not a lot that’s usable)
>
> we support various formats (to some extend the backend even adapts to
> it) ... tagged pdf ... already there for quite a while but i never had
> any demand for it so i never really check the current state (also
> because imo it's a it weird feature ... only there because publishers
> don't want to distribute sources that are suitable for rendering
> variations ... so we're stuck with some pseudo structure related to
> visuals)
>
> (i might upgrade tagging and exports as they closely relate but it's not
> easy to get motivated for something that one has no real use for so at
> most it will cold winter evening stuff)

To us, tagged PDF is important. Specifically, for PDF/A with
compliance level a, tagging is mandatory. ConTeXt is the only (!)
TeX-based PDF creation suite that can produce correct and reliable
tagging.

Our company is producing (and weekly updating) 67 manuals and
technical documents from more than 900 ConTeXt source files for our
software products. The output PDFs are converted to PDF/A-2a, which is
only possible due to ConTeXt's tagging.

>From what we hear of our customers, PDF/A level a and PDF/UA are
becoming increasingly important, be it because of archiving issues or
because of legislation requirements. So please, maintain this
invaluable feature!

Cheers, and thank you for all the effort.

Christoph