[NTG-context] Asymptote and Context

Aditya Mahajan adityam at umich.edu
Fri Apr 20 04:29:28 CEST 2018

On Thu, 19 Apr 2018, Context NTG wrote:

> I am running context minimals and Asymptote on Windows.This example used to
> work in the past, but it seems to have stopped working. Is there anything
> that has changed?

I uploaded a new version of the filter module yesterday, but the error
below seems unrelated.

> \usemodule[filter]
>
> \defineexternalfilter
> [ASY]
> [filtercommand={asy -tex "context" -outformat pdf
> -outname \externalfilteroutputfile},
> output=\externalfilterbasefile.pdf,
> cache=yes,
> readcommand=\ReadImage,]

Short answer: Change `filtercommand` to `filter`.

Long answer: The standard way to specify the command to be executed in
each snippet is to use `filtercommand`. This should be the FULL command
(as you would run on the command line). So in case of asymptote, it should
be:

filtercommand={asy -tex context -outformat pdf -outname
\externalfilteroutputfile\space \externalfilterinputfile}

Since many commands are of the form:

    command-name <options> input-name

a shortcut is provided in the filter module. Instead of saying

filtercommand={command-name <options> input-name},

you can say

filter={command-name <options>}

In the example that you posted, you are using `filtercommand=....` but the
input filename is missing, so asymptote launches an interactive promt.

Aditya