[NTG-context] Problem with Filter Module in latent context beta

Aditya Mahajan adityam at umich.edu
Tue Apr 17 19:19:03 CEST 2018

On Tue, 17 Apr 2018, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Apr 2018, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> On 4/17/2018 12:01 AM, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>>> All features of the filter and vim modules work with the latest beta,
>>> except for one final bug: leading spaces are stripped from the buffer.
>>>
>>> \starttext
>>>
>>> \startbuffer[test]
>>>      Leading spaces
>>> \stopbuffer
>>>
>>> \savebuffer[file=test-temp.tmp, prefix=no, list=test]
>>>
>>> \stoptext
>>>
>>> The leading spaces are stripped before the buffer is saved to the file
>>> temp.tmp. Is it possible for the leading space NOT to be stripped? (If
>>> not, I'll just document this as a feature :-).
>>
>> \samplefile{ward}
>> \startnarrower
>>    \samplefile{ward}
>>    \startbuffer[test]
>>        Leading spaces
>>          And some more
>>    \stopbuffer
>>    \typebuffer[test]
>> \stopnarrower
>> \samplefile{ward}
>>
>> \startbuffer[test]
>>    Leading spaces
>>        And some more
>> \stopbuffer
>> \typebuffer[test]
>>
>> it is actually a feature to align the left edge relative to the least
>> indented so that we can use them inside other constructs
>>
>> Now, as you're not afraid of low level code:
>>
>> \unprotect
>>
>> \unexpanded\def\StartAditya
>>  {\buff_pickup
>>    {Aditya}%
>>    {StartAditya}%
>>    {StopAditya}%
>>    {}%
>>    {\savebuffer[file=test-temp.tmp,prefix=no,list=Aditya]}%
>>    \zerocount}
>
> This is perfect as I am already using `\grabbufferdata` in my code. I can
> easily adapt it to use `\buff_pickup` instead. Thanks!.
>
>> Does what you want but of course it's sort of ugly for a module to do that.
>> What we can do is this which is still ugly but picking up verbatim is
>> always ugly:
>>
>> \def\buff_start_indeed#1#2#3#4%
>>  {\edef\p_strip{\namedbufferparameter{#1}\c!strip}%
>>
>> \normalexpanded{\buff_pickup{#2}{#3}{#4}{}{\buff_stop{#4}}\ifx\p_strip\v!no\zerocount\else\plusone\fi}}
>>
>> \protect

> I want this to be configurable at runtime and the vim module already has code
> that enables `strip=yes` and `strip=no` options (I do this via a function in
> vim so that it works with both mkii and mkiv; although I don't think that
> anyone uses the mkii module any longer).

I added `strip=yes` option to the filter module, which is now the default
option. See "Stripping leading whitespace" in the module documentation
(https://github.com/adityam/filter). This is a MkIV only feature and I
will not implement it in MkII.

I also made `strip=yes` to be the default in t-vim (to be consistent with
t-filter). In t-vim, the `strip` option works with both mkii and mkiv.

Aditya