[NTG-context] Problem with Filter Module in latent context beta

Aditya Mahajan adityam at umich.edu
Tue Apr 17 14:03:13 CEST 2018

On Tue, 17 Apr 2018, Hans Hagen wrote:

> On 4/17/2018 12:01 AM, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
>> All features of the filter and vim modules work with the latest beta,
>> except for one final bug: leading spaces are stripped from the buffer.
>>
>> \starttext
>>
>> \startbuffer[test]
>>      Leading spaces
>> \stopbuffer
>>
>> \savebuffer[file=test-temp.tmp, prefix=no, list=test]
>>
>> \stoptext
>>
>> The leading spaces are stripped before the buffer is saved to the file
>> temp.tmp. Is it possible for the leading space NOT to be stripped? (If
>> not, I'll just document this as a feature :-).
>
> \samplefile{ward}
> \startnarrower
>    \samplefile{ward}
>    \startbuffer[test]
>        Leading spaces
>          And some more
>    \stopbuffer
>    \typebuffer[test]
> \stopnarrower
> \samplefile{ward}
>
> \startbuffer[test]
>    Leading spaces
>        And some more
> \stopbuffer
> \typebuffer[test]
>
> it is actually a feature to align the left edge relative to the least
> indented so that we can use them inside other constructs
>
> Now, as you're not afraid of low level code:
>
> \unprotect
>
> \unexpanded\def\StartAditya
>  {\buff_pickup
>    {Aditya}%
>    {StartAditya}%
>    {StopAditya}%
>    {}%
>    {\savebuffer[file=test-temp.tmp,prefix=no,list=Aditya]}%
>    \zerocount}

This is perfect as I am already using `\grabbufferdata` in my code. I can
easily adapt it to use `\buff_pickup` instead. Thanks!.

> Does what you want but of course it's sort of ugly for a module to do that.
> What we can do is this which is still ugly but picking up verbatim is
> always ugly:
>
> \def\buff_start_indeed#1#2#3#4%
>  {\edef\p_strip{\namedbufferparameter{#1}\c!strip}%
>
> \normalexpanded{\buff_pickup{#2}{#3}{#4}{}{\buff_stop{#4}}\ifx\p_strip\v!no\zerocount\else\plusone\fi}}
>
> \protect

I want this to be configurable at runtime and the vim module already has
code that enables `strip=yes` and `strip=no` options (I do this via a
function in vim so that it works with both mkii and mkiv; although I don't
think that anyone uses the mkii module any longer).

Aditya