[NTG-context] Installing fonts in a ConTeXt Docker (texfont tool missing?)

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 10:54:57 CEST 2018

On 13 April 2018 at 10:16, Rodzis, Michelle wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> currently I work on a customized Docker container based on Ubuntu 16.04
> where I run ConTeXt standalone. To install ConTeXt, I use the approach
> described in the wiki:
>

> RUN wget http://minimals.contextgarden.net/setup/first-setup.sh &&\
>     sh ./first-setup.sh --modules=all
>
> After setting ConTeXt root everything works fine and as expected. However,
> the texfont tool seems to be missing which means I cannot install new fonts
> in my container.

Nowadays texfont is the wrong tool to use. It doesn't actually install
fonts, it merely converts them from, say, Type 1, to a zillion of
8-bit files (meaning that you won't even be able to use more than a
couple accented characters in that font). This was useful before TeX
supported OpenType fonts, but is a complete waste of time and
resources to go through that painful route nowadays.

You can just copy your own OpenType font files to, say,
texmf-fonts/data (and probably update the font database after that
with mtxrun).

Mojca