[NTG-context] Math kerning broken in latest beta

Hans Hagen j.hagen at xs4all.nl
Wed Apr 11 15:26:34 CEST 2018

On 4/11/2018 2:00 PM, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
> Am Wed, 11 Apr 2018 10:53:58 +1200 schrieb Henri Menke:
>
>> The math kerning seems to be broken in recent versions of LuaTeX.  When I
>> process the MWE below with TeX Live 2017 (LuaTeX 1.0.4) I get a different result
>> from the latest beta (LuaTeX 1.07.0).
>

> We see this in latex too, at looks as if only single atoms are
> affected, so adding something to the subscript gives another result:
>
> $\gamma_{e^2} \gamma_{ee} \gamma_{e\hphantom{\strut}} \gamma_{e} $
>
> (I can't test it with context, for some reason it currently don't
> find the stix fonts on this pc)
The usual 'math italic mess' where fonts assume italic correction
instead of proper math kerns.

I'll add a fix for that. We already have \mathscriptcharmode (default 1)
for lists and will have \mathboxcharmode (also defaulting to 1) for
loose chars. We can turn it off in order to investigate issues with real
math kerns (which most fonts seem to lack). Depending on how fonts
develop We might need a font bound flag too.

(In context i might turn these italics into proper math kerns some day.)