[NTG-context] texdoc in ConTeXt standalone

Hans Hagen j.hagen at xs4all.nl
Thu Apr 5 01:45:29 CEST 2018

On 4/5/2018 1:28 AM, Henri Menke wrote:
> On Thu, 2018-04-05 at 01:18 +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> On 4/5/2018 12:43 AM, Henri Menke wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear list,
>>>
>>> I'm sure you aware of the very useful "texdoc" command line utility in TeX
>>> live
>>> which brings up the PDF documentation for packages.  ConTeXt standalone also
>>> comes with documentation in
>>>
>>>       /opt/context/tex/texmf-context/doc/context
>>>
>>> However, I find it tedious to always search for the correct subfolder to get
>>> the document I need.  It would be great if there was something like
>>>
>>>       mtxrun --script doc metafun
>>>
>>> which would open the MetaFun manual.  Similarly "mtxrun --script doc
>>> gnuplot"
>>> would open the manual of the gnuplot module, etc.
>> this is one of these magic features that suddenly is available on your
>> system
>>
>> mtxrun --launch metafun*.pdf
>> mtxrun --launch cld-mkiv.pdf
>> mtxrun --all --launch "*-mkiv.pdf"
>
> Hm, that requires that I know enough about the name of the document.  A list
> would be quite nice in the sense that I could just type "metafun" and then
> select from "metafun-p.pdf" and "metafun-s.pdf" instead of opening both
> documents.
>

>> features like that have always been present in the context suite of
>> programs (i bet even before texdoc) but it might be that i don't call
>> the right thing on todays linux:
>>
>> local launchers={
>>     windows="start %s",
>>     macosx="open %s",
>>     unix="$BROWSER %s &> /dev/null &",
>> }
>
> I'm quite sure it should be xdg-open (or $PDFVIEWER if it is set and the file is
> PDF) on Linux.  For me $BROWSER is unset.
> https://linux.die.net/man/1/xdg-open

can you check that in mtxrun?

btw, context itself provides --autopdf which is handy when you run from
an editor

> $ mtxrun --launch metafun*.pdf
> resolvers       | resolving | forcing filetype 'tex'
> resolvers       | resolving | checking wildcard 'metafun*.pdf'
> resolvers       | methods | resolving, method 'concatinators', how 'tag', tag
> 'file'
> resolvers       | methods | resolving, method 'concatinators', how 'tag', tag
> 'file'
> mtxrun          | launching /opt/context/tex/texmf-
> context/doc/context/documents/general/manuals/metafun-p.pdf
> sh: 1: /opt/context/tex/texmf-
> context/doc/context/documents/general/manuals/metafun-p.pdf: Permission denied
>
>> there's also
>>
>> mtxrun --edit kpse:cld-mkiv.tex
>>
>> we can of course extend this feature with some listing but then i'd
>> rather consult the descriptive files xml but i'm not sure if i
>> distribute them yet
btw, there are all kind of gimmicks like

mtxrun --script grep doifelse /data/context/**.mkiv

which works with lua patterns and

mtxrun --script fcd --scan /data
mtxrun --script fcd mkiv

for fast directory switching (which i use a lot)