[NTG-context] texdoc in ConTeXt standalone

Hans Hagen j.hagen at xs4all.nl
Thu Apr 5 01:18:34 CEST 2018

On 4/5/2018 12:43 AM, Henri Menke wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I'm sure you aware of the very useful "texdoc" command line utility in TeX live
> which brings up the PDF documentation for packages.  ConTeXt standalone also
> comes with documentation in
>
>      /opt/context/tex/texmf-context/doc/context
>
> However, I find it tedious to always search for the correct subfolder to get to
> the document I need.  It would be great if there was something like
>
>      mtxrun --script doc metafun
>
> which would open the MetaFun manual.  Similarly "mtxrun --script doc gnuplot"
> would open the manual of the gnuplot module, etc.

this is one of these magic features that suddenly is available on your
system

mtxrun --launch metafun*.pdf
mtxrun --launch cld-mkiv.pdf
mtxrun --all --launch "*-mkiv.pdf"

features like that have always been present in the context suite of
programs (i bet even before texdoc) but it might be that i don't call
the right thing on todays linux:

local launchers={
   windows="start %s",
   macosx="open %s",
   unix="$BROWSER %s &> /dev/null &",
}

there's also

mtxrun --edit kpse:cld-mkiv.tex

we can of course extend this feature with some listing but then i'd
rather consult the descriptive files xml but i'm not sure if i
distribute them yet