[NTG-context] Circled text in metapost

Hans Hagen j.hagen at xs4all.nl
Thu Mar 29 12:17:14 CEST 2018

On 3/29/2018 11:52 AM, Henri Menke wrote:
> On 03/29/2018 10:28 PM, Gerhard Kugler wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> in documentations I can find various examples of circled text. But
>> copying them I had no success till now.
>>
>> I want to place text in half circles of various radiuses. Is there
>> anywhere a simple example?
>
> The Metafun experts would probably tear this apart...
>
> \startuniqueMPgraphic{half circle}
>    path p, q ;
>    p := fullcircle scaled OverlayWidth;
>    q := (p cutafter (point .5 along p)) shifted (0,-.5BodyFontSize) ;
>    fill q -- cycle withcolor lightgray ;
>    draw q withpen pencircle scaled 2pt withcolor darkred ;
>    setbounds currentpicture to boundingbox p ;
> \stopuniqueMPgraphic
>
> \defineoverlay[half circle][\uniqueMPgraphic{half circle}]
>
> \starttext
>
> \framed[background=half circle,frame=off]{Text width half circle.}
>
> \stoptext

Well, if you really want a tear down ...

\startuniqueMPgraphic{half circle}
     path p ; p := halfcircle scaled OverlayWidth shifted center
OverlayBox ;
     path q ; q := p shifted (0,-StrutDepth)  ;
     draw image (
         fill q -- cycle withcolor OverlayColor ;
         draw q          withcolor OverlayLineColor ;
     ) withpen pencircle scaled 2pt ;
     setbounds currentpicture to boundingbox OverlayBox ;
\stopuniqueMPgraphic

\defineoverlay[half circle][\uniqueMPgraphic{half circle}]

\starttext

\framed
   [background=half circle,
    frame=off,