[NTG-context] (fake) bold as font feature

luigi scarso luigi.scarso at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 11:32:52 CEST 2018

On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 11:02 PM, Pablo Rodriguez <oinos at gmx.es> wrote:
> On 03/26/2018 07:24 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:

>>> much is possible if i can motivate myself
>
> Good to know in order to propose new features :-).
Hm.
Fake bold / slanted / small caps /<what ever> of a base font
are dangerous, there is an high risk to compromise the
legibility of the text (this is especially true nowadays with user
consumer tablets  10" full hd ).
A font is not only glyphs, but also kernings and  hints and all these
things must match.
As Knuth  shown , the right way is to design from the beginning how
each glyph should be transformed
instead of apply to all the glyphs  the same transformation  (which is
faster, this is sure).
This is the key concept of metafont --- in my opinion better than the
variable fonts .
I am not saying that this impossible to do in context-mkiv ( *it is*
possible: just see  5.3 Virtual fonts of the luatex reference)
but in the end the result is the same of write the correct
bold/slanted/small caps/<whatever>  version of the  base font .

--
luigi