[NTG-context] decomposed u umlaut

Henning Hraban Ramm texml at fiee.net
Sun Mar 25 23:26:44 CEST 2018

Am 2018-03-25 um 22:36 schrieb Arthur Reutenauer <arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org>:

> On Thu, Mar 22, 2018 at 10:08:44AM +0100, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>> On 20 March 2018 at 08:42, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
>>> I’ve one annoying problem with ConTeXt: all üs (small u umlauts) seem to be encoded as decomposed unicode or something like that, at least every ü breaks into u + garbage if I copy some text from a ConTeXt PDF to an app that doesn’t really support Unicode.
>>
>> You are on macOS, right?
>> In my experience it was usually Apple's technology to blame.
>
>  I agree with you that Apple’s software has a tendency to decompose
> characters, but I wouldn’t blame them for that: it’s perfectly
> Unicode-compliant to do so, and by now software should support
> combining characters in at least a basic way.  It’s a real problem that
> the software from the Deutsche Post isn’t able to handle them correctly.

While DP shop should be able to handle more than Latin-1, the problem seems to be in the viewer or in a combination of viewer and OS:
- It doesn’t depend on the font, I tried Computer Modern and Alegreya (that is known to have some OpenType ligature issues).
- I checked with several viewers, and the Adobe apps (Acrobat Pro 9 and Reader DC) decompose just the ü, while my other viewers including Apple’s Preview decompose all the umlauts. (Just copied and pasted into an hex editor.)
- It also happens with PDFs from other sources.

So it’s not a ConTeXt bug. Sorry for the noise.

Greetlings, Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net
http://wiki.contextgarden.net