[NTG-context] linux binaries split?

Thomas A. Schmitz thomas.schmitz at uni-bonn.de
Sat Mar 24 13:57:21 CET 2018

On 24.03.2018 13:32, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> The binaries were requested (and provided) by Henri Menke:
>     https://mailman.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2018/090611.html
>
>  From what I understood (maybe I misunderstood) the regular linux
> binaries would not even work on machines with musl, but maybe you have
> both libc and musl installed?
>
> It was not meant to be a short-term thing (unless/until we figure out
> that there are too many problems with it and nobody uses it), but it
> was probably never even tested properly and Hans did not yet implement
> support in mtxrun, so maybe installing out-of-the-box would not yet
> work, I don't have a machine to test it.

I was just writing this message when more replies arrived.  I have never
heard of musl and have never installed it; pretty sure all my linux
installations are regular ones with libc. So: the problem appears to be
with the test in

if command -v ldd >/dev/null && ldd --version 2>&1 | grep -q ^musl
	then
		libc=musl
	else
		libc=glibc
	fi

which appears to default to musl even if it is not present. But I don't
know enough about shell scripting to debug it - could it also be a
problem with the shell used? (Mine is zsh.)

Thomas