[NTG-context] export breaks float placement

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Thu Mar 15 09:54:54 CET 2018

On 3/3/2018 11:07 AM, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:
> Am 2018-02-27 um 16:10 schrieb Alan Braslau <braslau.list at comcast.net>:
>
>>> With \setupbackend[export=yes] the image is placed "here" and never
>>> "right" or "left".
>>
>> I "reported" this a while ago. The answer is that right or left are
>> meaningless for the export and that the export is built somehow using
>> the generated PDF.
>> I believe that Hans' workflow includes controlling the export run by
>> viewing the export PDF (in sumatra), so he has been reluctant to change
>> the behavior.
>
> Hi! Slowly recovering from the flu...
>
> So, this is already known. But if there’s indeed such reasoning behind, it really makes no sense at all!
>
> Even if Hans’ workflow is not capable of right or left placement, it’s easily achievable in HTML/ePub (CSS float: left/right), so it can’t generally be meaningless.

it has othing to do with that but more with the fact that the actual
placement can make the structure invalid

> And I can’t accept that the option of exporting to XML would (more or less) drastically and needlessly change the print layout!
> At least _please_ make it an option!
ok, i'll remove the check ... but: don't bother to complain about
invalid exported structured when it happens as i will not look into
and/or fix interferences with the actual placement, which can be
elsewhere due to lack of room or delayed placement due to margin
locations (in that case you need to make a conditional sections in your
document source)