[NTG-context] Fourier and utopia

Mikael P. Sundqvist mickep at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 21:00:38 CET 2018

On Sat, Mar 3, 2018 at 7:17 PM, Mikael P. Sundqvist <mickep at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 3, 2018 at 3:46 PM, Mikael P. Sundqvist <mickep at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Dear Hans and dear list,
>>
>> I try to use the fourier/utopia combination in mkiv (I used that
>> combination for my PhD thesis in mkii 10 years ago).
>>
>> First of all, I have downloaded the fourier fonts from ctan at
>> https://ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/fourier-GUT . The fonts are found by
>> mtxrun.
>>
>> I have one folder containing type-fourier.mkiv, fourier-math.lfg and
>> testfile.tex. Everything seems to be found by the system, so the problem is
>> probably in my files somewhere. The resulting pdf after compiling
>> testfile.text is attached.
>>
>> Any ideas of what I am missing?
>>
>> Additionally, the fourier fonts come with fourier-bb.tfm (probably with
>> blackboard bold), fourier-mcl (probably so that one can use mathcal). Any
>> ideas on how to use them in the fourier-math.lfg file?
>>
>> If more information is needed, then please tell me.
>>
>> /Mikael
>>
>> %%%
>> type-fourier.mkiv:
>> %%%
>> \starttypescriptcollection[fourier]
>>     \starttypescript [serif] [fourier]
>>         \definefontsynonym [Utopia-Regular]     [file:putr8a.afm]
>>         \definefontsynonym [Utopia-Italic]      [file:putri8a.afm]
>>         \definefontsynonym [Utopia-Bold]        [file:putb8a.afm]
>>         \definefontsynonym [Utopia-BoldItalic]  [file:putbi8a.afm]
>>     \stoptypescript
>>
>>     \starttypescript [serif] [fourier] [name]
>>                 \setups[font:fallback:serif]
>>         \definefontsynonym [Serif]            [Utopia-Regular]
>>         \definefontsynonym [SerifItalic]      [Utopia-Italic]
>>         \definefontsynonym [SerifBold]        [Utopia-Bold]
>>         \definefontsynonym [SerifBoldItalic]  [Utopia-BoldItalic]
>>     \stoptypescript
>>
>>     \starttypescript [math] [fourier] [all]
>>         \loadfontgoodies[fourier-math]
>>         \definefontsynonym [MathRoman]     [fourierrm at fourier-rm]
>>     \stoptypescript
>>
>>     \starttypescript [fourier]
>>         \definetypeface [\typescriptone] [rm] [serif] [fourier] [default]
>>         \definetypeface [\typescriptone] [ss] [sans]  [modern]  [default]
>>         \definetypeface [\typescriptone] [tt] [mono]  [modern]  [default]
>>         \definetypeface [\typescriptone] [mm] [math]  [fourier] [default]
>>         \quittypescriptscanning
>>     \stoptypescript
>> \stoptypescriptcollection
>>

>> %%%
>> fourier-math.lfg:
>> %%%
>> return {
>>     name = "fourier-math",
>>     version = "1.00",
>>     comment = "Math font Fourier for Utopia.",
>>     mathematics = {
>>         mapfiles = {
>>             "fourier.map",
>>             "mkiv-base.map",
>>         },
>>         virtuals = {
>>             ["fourier-rm"] = {
> [...]

I realize that maybe I'm the only one who cares for this font combination.
In any case. Anyways, I try again: I do not understand the way lfg files
work (I looked at all the examples). So, if it is too much to ask for
someone to actually download the font and try out themselves, I instead ask
if someone find something strange about the lfg file I suggested (there
must be something since it is not working)? I looked a bit at the LaTeX
package fourier.sty and it seems that they use the same skewchar at least.

/Mikael