[NTG-context] Broken Index Behavior?

Brian Wedde wbrian at onlineed.com
Fri Mar 2 02:28:10 CET 2018

I put ConTeXt on a new server. It works fine except that it is not
aggregating index results. I have isolated it to a single line, but i do
not understand why it breaks indexing. Feedback from anybody would be
immensely helpful. I have already spent way too much time figuring this out.

%Minimal example:
% ConTeXt  ver: 2017.05.15 21:48 MKII  fmt: 2017.8.17  int: english/english
\enableregime[utf]
\starttext
\index{Aardvark}Aardvark
\index{Baboon}Baboon
\index{Camel}Camel
\pagebreak
\index{Baboon}Baboon
\placeindex[compress=yes]
\stoptext

Outputs Index like this:

Aardvark 1

Baboon 1

Camel 1

Baboon 2

and issues warning when compiling:
references      : duplicate reference [][Index:b] on page 2

However, if i remove this line, it works fine:
\enableregime[utf]

I need that line to be able to handle diacritics in the text however. I
cannot upgrade to mkIV yet as there is a complex toolchain involved.

Running this example with the same installation files and same input
returns different results when run on my local workstation versus this
new machine i am working on. It also works fine on the
live.contextgarden.net tool.

Can anyone think of a reason why adding "\enableregime[utf]" would break
the index aggregator? File permissions? Missing tool? Something wrong
with fonts? Some other context-sensitive misconfiguration?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks a bunch.