[NTG-context] export breaks float p

Alan Braslau braslau.list at comcast.net
Tue Feb 27 16:10:18 CET 2018

On Tue, 27 Feb 2018 15:41:41 +0100
Henning Hraban Ramm <texml at fiee.net> wrote:

> Try to compile this with and without the first line:
>

> \setupbackend[export=yes]
>
> \starttext
>
> \input tufte
> \placefigure[right]{}{%
> \externalfigure[hacker][width=.33\textwidth]%
> }%
> \input tufte
> \input tufte
>
> \stoptext
>

> With \setupbackend[export=yes] the image is placed "here" and never
> "right" or "left".

I "reported" this a while ago. The answer is that right or left are
meaningless for the export and that the export is built somehow using
the generated PDF.

I requested that this PDF be placed in the export (sub)directory so as
not to "break" the PDF produced on a previous run without export. I can
deal with multiple runs when exporting, although ideally one could
decide to export systematically and the process would produce two PDFs
including the one used in creating the export. If this seems awkward or
clumsy then at least preserving the "production" PDF would be desirable.

I believe that Hans' workflow includes controlling the export run by
viewing the export PDF (in sumatra), so he has been reluctant to change
the behavior.

Alan