[NTG-context] option for printing range

Henning Hraban Ramm texml at fiee.net
Tue Feb 27 15:35:20 CET 2018

Am 2018-02-27 um 14:43 schrieb Floris van Manen <vm at klankschap.nl>:

>> On 27 Feb 2018, at 13:50, Henning Hraban Ramm <texml at fiee.net> wrote:
>> Too bad I can’t live (make a living) without Photoshop, InDesign etc...
>
> well, that depends as how you organise the workflow…
> i switched away from adobe using context instead.

I’m using ConTeXt for most of my serious products (books, magazines) nowadays, but it’s only efficient if you need TeX’s strengths (and can avoid its weaknesses) and make several issues with the same layout.

I’m struggling a lot with ConTeXt’s quirks (e.g. the recently fixed spacing bug, but also just the lack of documentation on all the commands and their options) and too often I get no answers to my questions on this list or I can’t even ask something because I can’t come up with a minimal example, e.g. I recognized just today, float placement "right" or "left" failed to work because I compiled with --mode=something ...

For one-off products (flyers, advertising etc.) ConTeXt is just not an option. And while I’m very fast in image processing with Photoshop I probably didn’t try enough achieving the same results with Gimp... Oh, and Scribus doesn’t help either - the GUI feels clumsy (like the old versions of Corel Draw I tried), and it’s still not possible to properly use layers in templates.

At the moment I’m trying to typeset a book with a lot of poems and similar artsy stuff where every second needs a different formatting - not really a suitable ConTeXt project, but it also has a lot of footnotes that I wouldn’t like to typeset in InDesign..

Sorry, that went OT...

Greetlings, Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net