[NTG-context] option for printing range

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Sun Feb 25 13:21:46 CET 2018

On 2/25/2018 10:11 AM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
> On 02/24/2018 07:50 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> On 2/24/2018 11:31 AM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> This is extremely useful to help the user to print only the required
>>> pages and not the whole document (which may be required only for viewing
>>> purposes).
>>
>> well, 'extremely' is a bit of a exaggeration i guess as most of these
>> fancy acrobat only features are hardly used or requested (i still have
>> to meet a publisher who wants anything fancy pdf anyway) so we're
>> talking of yet another feature creep that probably only one person will use
>
> Many thanks for your implementation, Hans.
>
> I agree it is not a general-purpose feature, but it is very useful when
> needed.
>
> The printing features (duplex and others) that I request are extremely
> useful for my workmates and in copyshops. With them, I don’t have to
> explain them how the PDF documents should be printed.
>
> I would love to have them in the webapps I have at work, but
> unfortunately they don’t contain them.

as is much (like layers)

>> anyway, that said, as we use abstraction and as we don't know pages in
>> advance the only way i'm willing to support it is by using the (probably
>> unknown) marked pages feature
>
> Just to understand, why is it required that pages are known in advance?
> Is it only a question of convenience for the user or does ConTeXt
>
> As for the marked pages feature, it should read for me "(totally
> unknown)" instead of "(probably unknown)".
>
>> % \markpage[foo][1,4,5]
>
>  From what I read in i-context.pdf, I wonder whether it would be possible
> to add page ranges with [10:90].
>
> I don’t have a way of testing it, since I don’t know how to use
> \markpage for other purposes.

the only way to test is dummy documents ... and as one never know pages
in advance marking a specific page actually makes not much sense .. i'll
add an automatism but as usual with such page break related features you
need to be explicit in the sense of adding \page (a bit like headers and
footers)

\page
\startmarkpages [extra]
     \dorecurse {10} {
         \samplefile{greenfield} \par
     }
     \page
\stopmarkpages

(it's no big deal to add a real marking feature that would be more
automatic but it's overkill)